Friday, June 8: 1Corinthians 8- Now about.

I was thinking about the opening two words of the chapter: Now about… for all their issues and problems the Corinthians were willing to seek their apostle's advice about particular matters. In fact much of the letter is Paul answering a series of 'now abouts…'.

The letter begins with problem issues that Paul has learned about and which he addresses. But then in chapter 7 he turns to address issues about which they have sought his advice. Now for the matters you wrote about… (7:1)

Chapter 8 and following are other 'now about' matters. As I said above, for all their issues and problems the Corinthians were willing to seek their apostle's advice about particular matters. This got me wondering, to whom do I turn when I have a 'now about' issue? How about you?

Recently I went to a conference and one of the leaders, mentioned that he has had a particular Christian brother as a coach/mentor for 35 years! I hear others speak about spiritual directors or accountability brothers/sisters. This has not been my continual practice. I have, as I think about this, had brothers I have met with regularity during seasons of my life. Still I haven't had a consistent voice with whom I can speak about when I have a 'now about' issue. I do use God's Word regularly and certainly the Spirit is the best 'now about' counselor. Still there is something to having the eyes and heart of another brother or sister (depending on your gender) who can look you in the eye when answering.

And if I consider the early chapters of 1Corinthians, they had a trusted brother who could raise issues they might never have considered, left to themselves.

Hmmm, do I have a brother like that?

Lord do You have someone who would be a good 'now about' partner for me during my current phase of life and discipleship???

 

I return to verse 1: Now about food sacrificed to idols: We know that "We all possess knowledge." But knowledge puffs up while love builds up (1). These words advocate a significant difference between knowledge and love. Knowledge not tempered by love, not controlled by love, not supported and walled in by love can be dangerous and destructive.

Love is the base from which a disciple's life must grow.

I don't like to use 'must' phrases if I can help it. Must/have to/should/ leads to laws and rules. However in this case, as I ponder, I feel comfortable in using 'must' because love is the character trait that Jesus wants to define His disciples. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another (John 13:35). Love for a disciple is a must…

I must learn to love all people… only then am I faithfully following Jesus.

Well, this single sentence has taken me on an interesting journey this morning. It has been helpful for me, I hope the same is true for you.

Lord, may these words penetrate my protected life. I pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment