Friday, May 25: Job 38- Put in my place.

Abrupt change… from men questioning Job to God's interrogation. Even with this dramatic change, I feel at peace. [Of course I am not the person being put on the hot seat.]

For me, the fact that the editor of the book announces, Then the LORD spoke to Job out of the storm (1), sets me at ease. Finally I will hear God's voice on this matter.

The Lord, like a prosecuting attorney, launches into a seemingly endless series of questions that neither Job nor any person could answer.

Frankly though at peace I sit stunned. I can only imagine how Job felt. Then I glance back at the opening words, God spoke out of the storm. I do not know what that means literally, however, thoughts of booms and crashes of lightening and the rattling of rain hitting the ceiling if they are inside, or pounding the trees if they are outside, causes additional quaking for me.

I have never discernably heard the voice of God. Oh, I know the nudge of the Lord, an inspired thought I attribute to God's voice but I have never audibly heard God. I have sat in a raging storm, including hurricanes, but never had a sense that God was speaking to me through the storm. Yet, that was clearly Job's experience. The inquisition of God must have been all the more intense given God's platform for speaking… the storm!

I wonder what Job's posture was like. Did he who said he longed for his day in court stand tall and was prepared to speak or did he bow low under the sheer weight of God's presence and voice?

The text at this point is silent on Job, his response or his demeanor. I imagine I would be completely humbled. It is one thing to argue with other me and cry out for your 'day in court.' It is another thing altogether to find yourself in the presence of God with God grilling you.

No one could possibly answer these questions, which seems to be the point of the text. However, we will have to wait until God finishes His statement to know for certain.

Until then, I marvel. God actually gave Job his 'day in court.' That is a rich thought. After all that has gone on and all the speeches, God apparently has been listening and now He answers.

God listens… that thought both encourages me and frightens me.

Encouraged because Job, and by extension we, are that important to God that He cares and He listens…

Frightening because God hears my words which are at times banal and irreverent… that God hears those parts of my speaking…

Even though I am not the one on the 'hot seat', I sit here stilled before the Lord…

Words escape me, Lord. I simply bow my head before You. Through Jesus I pray. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment