Monday, May 21: Job 34- God sustains all.

"More of the same," I think as I read, more of the same. I feel beaten by this labored argument.

In the midst of his comments Elihu makes an astute comment about God:

It is unthinkable that God would do wrong, that the Almighty would pervert justice. Who appointed him over the earth? Who put him in charge of the whole world? If it were his intention and he withdrew his spirit and breath, all humanity would perish together and mankind would return to the dust (12-15).

I allowed these words to lead me into meditations about the Lord…

Actually I shuddered at the thought that if God withdrew his spirit and breath, all humanity would perish together and mankind would return to the dust. News media trumpet climate change or nuclear disaster as potential causes for catastrophe. But those possibilities suggest that we control our own destiny. Where Elihu places God front and center, which I believe is more accurate.

The idea that God, simply by withdrawing His breadth, would cause all humanity to perish staggers me. In fact it takes my breath away.

It never ceases to create awe, when I am hit with the wonder and grandness of our God. 

Oh, Lord God, You are great. You are good. You are above all. And as a son, I get to herald You to the world and praise You with every breath.

Bless the Lord, o my soul and all that is within me bless His holy name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment