Friday, May 28: 1Samuel 25-Have you learned?

As the first words, Now Samuel died… entered my eyes, I immediately thought, “Did he learn? Did David learn?”

The day comes for all of us.  Will we stand on our own two feet or will we fall? Saul, you may remember,  fell when he couldn’t wait and offered unauthorized sacrifice himself.

For some people the day comes when we leave our parents home. For others it is when a trusted mentor or life-coach dies or moves away. Whatever our particular case, there comes a day when we learn if we can stand on our own two feet,  if what we have been taught, if how we have been mentored, sticks. That day was here for David.

Over the next weeks we will watch David and learn if he learned. But God in His usual manner turns the table from the character in the Bible to me (and you). Have you, have I, learned to live for Jesus on your, my own? Do I choose to resist evil? Do I seek God for direction and answers to life situations? Do I read and study to show myself approved (See 2Tim 2:15)? Have I learned to take responsibility for my choices and decisions?  Are they God honoring?

Questions like this tumbled. God was probing me.  Is God probing you?

Spend some time this morning evaluating your spiritual life. What is your maturity level and is it where it should be, given the number of years you have been a Christ-follower?

O God- Father, Son and Holy Spirit –I pray that by Your grace I will never stop growing. That I will never be satisfied with my maturity level and put my faith in neutral. O, Lord, place in me a desire to grow, to know You more and better daily, weekly, yearly.  And to live out my growing maturity through growing obedience to Your will, Your way, and Your leadings… In Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment