Thursday, May 27: 1Samuel 24-Integrity and honor

How do we deal with those who are ‘out to get us?” Believe me David’s case is different than most of ours. David was being tracked and hunted by the man God anointed king, Saul. God’s anointed, as David refers to him, therefore to kill him would have been an act against God Himself, in David’s eyes.

David is given a huge test. Saul is delivered right to David and yet David refused to kill him.  Honor and integrity displayed in an enormous way. This act of integrity and honor set an incredible tone for David’s life and David’s leadership for the remainder of his life & career.

How we deal with those ‘out to get’ us is huge!

In the workplace, in the community, in the church, in school, whatever group we are in, whenever there is potential for power plays and political maneuverings, people can be at odds. Dealing with our enemies is a true test of character.

Given the chance, David doesn’t kill Saul but he does bring the injustice of his case into the light in a potentially redemptive way. We don’t know yet how Saul, the aggressor, will react in this case but David has showed his true colors.

God nudges me… “Bill, when your back is to the wall, do you trust yourself or do you trust in Me? Do you take matters into your own hands or do you trust Me, seek Me, do what is right in My eyes?” These pointed questions from the Holy Spirit are the cud for me to chew on today. How do I deal with my enemies?  Do I exhibit honor and integrity? Do you?

Lord, develop in me honor and integrity in ALL situations, even the worst ones. Even the hard ones, Lord, develop in me honor and integrity. I see Jesus before Pilate and the High Priest and the people screaming for His head and on the cross… honor and integrity and strength… Lord Jesus, lead me to be like You. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment