Saturday, May 15: 1Samuel 14- Rash words

Saturday, May 15: 1Samuel 14- Rash words

Words are violently powerful… .  They have moved armies and convicted souls. They can motivate toward good or evil, build relationships or destroy them. Words are violently powerful.

Saul, sadly, let his words get the better of him. Twice in this chapter he speaks words impulsively to the detriment of his legacy and the country he leads as king.

"Cursed be any man who eats food before evening comes, before I have avenged myself on my enemies!" (24).

"Come here, all you who are leaders of the army, and let us find out what sin has been committed today. As surely as the LORD who rescues Israel lives, even if it lies with my son Jonathan, he must die" (38-39).

The first cost Israel a great victory. An impulsive curse cost Israel dearly. Famished, the men could not press the attack with vigor.   and Tthen when they ceased fighting for the day, they were so famished they didn’t prepare meat properly and they sinned by eating blood with the meat.

Secondly, it was Jonathan who ate. It was Jonathan who should have died, but Saul couldn’t follow through. His rash words put him in a terrible bind, ; break his word to God or kill his son. ? Saul chose the latter (unlike Jepthah in Judges 11).

The emerging pattern for Saul is rash, impulsive words… and words matter. Do you think Saul grew in the eyes of his men or shrunk? Clearly the latter, they learned he was an impulsive leader who could not be counted on to keep his word. He played favorites. And worse, before God he didn’t keep his word. Saul was quickly showing himself to be a man who could not be trusted.

The Spirit, not so gently, chimed in about my words, calling me to be a man of my word, and calling me to control the impulse of my tongue… .  Wwords and vows have power for good or for evil…

Lord, words slide so easily across my lips… . Ooften I do not give them the thought they deserve. Jesus, You say that every careless word will be judged, t and that is frightening. I have made promises I didn’t keep and have spoken harsh words I should have held. My tongue is hard to tame. Forgive me and help me. I need Your aid in this arena of my life… immensely. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment