Monday, May 24: 1Samuel 21-Following the Lord


   
I chewed on these verses a long time wondering, "What is my nourishment for today, Lord?" The chapter seems so benign, a historical vignette that is connecting other pieces of David's life, and yet I mulled.
I found myself thinking about how God leads us. Sometimes God's direction seems so clear, maybe like Samuel a few days ago God speaks in some recognizable way and tells us exactly what to do (remember the story about anointing David in chapter 16). Or maybe like Paul, God speaks to us in a dream (Acts 16) or like Peter in a vision (Acts 10). I have never had a specific directing dream or vision, never heard an audible voice but there are times I absolutely know God has directed me to do something.
And then there is the rest of life. This chapter struck me as a 'rest of life' story. David is forced to flee from Saul. Quite possibly he had some time to think what shall I do if I must run, There were a couple of days between his initial conversation with Jonathan and Jonathan's confrontation with his dad. Whatever the case, David is in flee mode. First he runs to the priest. Someone he can trust to not be on of Saul's cronies and who will have some food and possibly a weapon. The text is silent about God specifically directing him there. A thought, an idea in David's street-wise mind said "Go to Ahimelech." In fact the text is silent throughout about God giving specific direction to David.
   Next he runs to Achish king of Gath (one of Israel's neighbors and enemies I might add) to seek asylum. This doesn't fare so well, so David pretends to be insane in the hopes of being seen as harmless and sent away rather than be killed. It works and the chapter ends.
It is comforting when God gives specific direction and leading, but much if not most of my life is a series of decisions that I make by deciding based upon what I have observed, my intuition in the situation, my faith in Jesus and understanding of God's ways, some level of prayer and counsel of trusted friends when I have time and other factors depending upon the particular decision.
   What I realized is that God is there in the quiet... His sovereign hand always present. Sometimes my decisions work out... God is there. Sometimes they turn out to be 'not so good' God is there too helping me extricate me from any problems of my not-so-good decision caused.
Faith the writer of the Hebrews 11:1 tells us is, is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. God is not always vocal about what He wants me to do or where He wants me to go; by faith I trust that He is leading me all the time, often by using the faculties of my mind and life experiences No matter how God leads I need faith to trust Him.
    God thank You for the times You speak loudly and clearly and thank You for the intuitions and thinking faculties You have given me. I pray God that all my decisions bring You honor and glory... for You are my Lord God and savior of my life. Amen.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment