Monday, May 17: 1Samuel 15-Obedience!

Verses 22-23 encapsulate the heart of this chapter:

Samuel replied: "Does the LORD delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices as much as in obeying the voice of the LORD? To obey is better than sacrifice, and to heed is better than the fat of rams. For rebellion is like the sin of divination, and arrogance like the evil of idolatry. Because you have rejected the word of the LORD, he has rejected you as king."

Obedience is what God desires from us.  Obedience.

Saul’s slide into oblivion picks up speed. God said, “Kill everything belonging to the Amalekites.” A simple strait forward command, “Kill everything.” Instead, Saul saves the king and choice animals in order to sacrifice them to the Lord. (Remember sacrifices were burnt and portions eaten by the worshipper.)

Bottom line, Saul does not fully obey. By his own admission he caves to the pressure of his men and lets them keep these animals as sacrifices (24).

Honestly, it doesn’t matter whether the pressure to disobey was internal or external, Saul disobeyed a direct and clear word from the Lord. Saul rebelled.

Read the verses above again.

The third sentence knocks me. For rebellion is like the sin of divination, and arrogance like the evil of idolatry. Rebellion (direct disobedience) is like divination (seeking false gods)!

I came across that verse a handful of years ago and it still knocks me. God expects obedience.  To intentionally disobey is tantamount to worshipping false gods, seeking after idols rather than the Lord! That’s a strong word!

To obey God is to worship God. My thoughts jump to John 15 (9-15 especially, and other Jesus accounts) where Jesus calls his followers to obey His commands.

To obey is better than sacrifice.  Obedience is the primary way we worship God.

O, God, I fall short all the time. I am more like Saul than I care to admit. I don’t obey You fully. Yet for some reason You lavish, and lavish again, Your mercy and grace upon me, forgiving me and picking me up, dusting me off and sending me on again and again. I am reduced to two words…Thank You.

O, God, please send Your Holy Spirit.  Teach me to discern His voice readily and give me the strength to OBEY that I may worship You with my living and my words and my actions…

You, O, God – Father, Son and Holy Spirit – are my God and I will worship You… amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment