Monday, May 3: 1Samuel 3-Three characteristics of a disciple.

I love this story… so simple, so believable. It is a living word-picture.

Young Samuel hears someone calling his name during the night. Assuming it is Eli, his faith-father, he runs to Eli’s side immediately. Eager.  This young boy is so eager and willing to serve and obey.

Three times this happens and three times it is not Eli. Finally the savvy old man realizes it is the Lord and he instructs Samuel how to respond. When God calls a fourth time, Samuel responses exactly as instructed. Teachable. Samuel receives and follows Eli’s directions, showing that he is eminently teachable.

God then reveals His will for Eli and family. In the morning when the old priest asks the boy what God said, the boy hesitates (it must have been very unpleasant to tell bad news to Eli) but then he tells Eli everything. Obedient… Samuel listens carefully to the Lord and then obediently (to Eli and God) tells everything God has revealed.

Eager… teachable… obedient, three words that describe the young Samuel. Three words that describe anyone sold out to God. Three words I pray describe me as I walk with Jesus…

O, God, three powerful words for any Christ-follower. Lord, please develop these characteristics in me… eagerness to do Your will. Your will, first and foremost.

Teachable… Lord, break in me any know-it-all spirit and build in me a teachable heart, mind soul and body, so that I might learn from You!

Obedient… Lord, it comes down to doing, doing what you ask. May that be a characteristic of my life.

Lord, I surrender myself to You… In Jesus’ name, amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment