Friday, May 7: 1Samuel 7-God enters my world

Towards the end of this chapter there was a phrase that seemed to step off the page and into my life. "Thus far has the LORD helped us" (12). After defeating the Philistines and driving them back, Samuel set up an altar demarking Israel’s land and that’s the name he gave the altar, "Thus far has the LORD helped us."

I found myself contemplating the many ways the Lord has helped me, ways He stepped into my life and showed Himself to be God my protector and my director.

Years ago, I completed an engineering master’s degree. About halfway through my two-year MS program, I clearly heard God’s call to seminary but I felt that the best way to honor the Lord was to complete my MS degree. The core of my degree was a research thesis. As my time was winding down, I just couldn’t make sense of the data. It looked like a shotgun pattern on a piece of paper… dots here and there with no rhyme or reason. I was frustrated and wondered if I would have to write up a “failed” research project, which is valid research. Not every theory works out. But my gut was not comfortable with that but the graduation date was looming and I needed my data to write the thesis.

I distinctly remember reviewing all my data one last time. I can still see where I was sitting, with data graphs all around me. I also remember in my frustration praying “O, God, what’s wrong, what am I missing…? Help me, God, I need Your help.”

Not long after that prayer of frustration, I packed up my stuff and went home for the night. The next day, laying out everything one more time for another review, I had this inspiration. What if I normalized the data points based on the volume of my material in my various experiment iterations (don’t worry if this makes no sense to you, I would have to layout my entire research plan for you to understand it).

My point is, as I began to re-run my data points based on this “inspiration” and the shotgun pattern began to narrow. It was like being at the eye doctor as he narrows in on the correct prescription, the chart comes into focus. By the time I finished re-running all my data points, there emerged positive helpful correlations. My professor was pleased and writing the thesis was a breeze.

I left with my engineering degree for seminary and about 9 months later I received an invitation to The Metallurgical Convention.  My thesis work, which was put in journal paper form by my professor, won the award and the best welding metallurgical research of the year. Not only that, I received a $125 check! Is God good or what?!

To this day, I am convinced that the Lord gave me that inspiration… Yes, I shout, “Thus far has the Lord helped me!”

Before prayer, take a few minutes to review times, places and ways the Lord has thus far helped you!

O, Lord, thank You for being there for me in SO many ways. This brief story is just one of ways You have stepped into my life and showed Yourself to be God. Thank You. I love You. I surrender to YOU! Amen.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment