Thursday, May 13: 1Samuel 12-The delicate tightrope of Mercy- not getting what we deserve.

How many times has Israel (and II) received mercy? Countless times…

Mercy is not getting what we deserve and this chapter is one gigantic gift of mercy. Samuel reminds the people how they have sinned by choosing a king to which they respond, "Pray to the LORD your God for your servants so that we will not die, for we have added to all our other sins the evil of asking for a king." Samuel, “ask God to have mercy on us!!!!”

"Do not be afraid," Samuel replied. "You have done all this evil; yet do not turn away from the LORD, but serve the LORD with all your heart (19-20). “Despite your sin, God will be merciful, but…,” replies Samuel.

The “but” is critical; . Samuel recognizes the delicate tightrope of mercy… . God is full of mercy, . He grants it lavishly to his people, . what What I noticed is the ‘but’… but serve the LORD with all your heart.

Mercy is God’s gift to start anew so we can work to get things right; . mMercy is not a “get out of jail free” card so we can keep on sinning.

Mercy is a gift that allows us an opportunity to change and to draw closer to God.

At this point the whisper of the Spirit gently nudges a change in direction in my morning thoughts. “Bill, have you used God’s many gifts of mercy well?” Other connected thoughts breeze in… “Bill, have you used your wife’s (childrens’, friends’, employers’) gifts of mercy well?”

O, God, sometimes ‘yes,’ many times ‘no.’ Lord. Lord, I am struck by how selfishly I live my life… . I have squandered extraordinary gifts of mercy. Forgive me, Lord.

As I write this prayer, I am realizing that today, this lesson, this moment with You is yet another gift of Your mercy. Lord God, You have forgiven me. and Ttoday You are inviting me to enter and use, positively, the mercy You have lavished and the mercy You are lavishing one me right now.

Blessed be the name of the Lord…

Blessed be the name of the Lord…

Blessed be the name of the Lord, most high!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment