Friday, July 30: 1Kings 3- Except.

As I was reading this story about Solomon and his prayer for wisdom and his wise judgment in the matter of the dead baby, it was not any of the big themes, but rather a single word that garnered my attention… ‘except.’ Solomon showed his love for the LORD by walking according to the statutes of his father David, except that he offered sacrifices and burned incense on the high places. Solomon was faithful ‘except’ And this exception was one of the things that led to his drifting from the Lord for part of his life.

Except is a dangerous word. I love my wife except…  I am a good employee except…  I love God except… I follow God except…  I believe the Bible except…

Whenever we allow exceptions to creep into our faith, life-trouble is around the corner.

God said, “Love Me with your whole heart, mind, soul and strength… no exceptions granted.” God said, “Love your neighbor as yourself… no exceptions granted.

Think about it… I will.

O, Lord, help me to examine my life to see if there are any exceptions in my life. And, Lord, if I don’t see them but You do, show me so that I might submit my life wholly to You. In Jesus’, who loves with no exceptions, name… Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment