Saturday, July 17: Philippians 1-Special people in my life.

Not uncommonly there were a number of connection points between the text and my life. Such is the joy of a living relationship with Jesus.

A piece of important personal background.  As I write this devotional, I sit in Nigeria teaching at Jos ECWA Theological Seminary (JETS). I sit here alone, no family or church members were able to travel with me this year.  Presently, I have minimal ability to contact home, little power, no convenient internet, etc. As you can imagine, I am feeling a bit isolated. It is in my personal context that verse 3 crossed from the text to my life. I thank my God every time I remember you.

I am not in prison as Paul was, yet sitting here alone and disconnected from family, friends and my church, I can understand in measure what Paul is saying. It is my remembrances of those I love and care for -those who love and care for me as well- that sustains me. I find myself thinking about loved ones and friends more here than at home where they surround me. And the Christian faith connection with people back home is particularly strong.  More prayer on my end is sent to God and I can feel more intensely than when I am home the peoples’ prayers for me.

Like Paul, my remembrances are filled with thanks… thanks for these important folk in my life and thanks to the Lord for providing these people in my life.

One nagging thought I have is, “Why is all of this heightened when I am away alone and lessened when I am surrounded by family, friends and church family”??? Maybe the adage, “Absence makes the heart grow fonder,” is true. Maybe the need for companionship is greater. Whatever the complexity of reasons, I find myself so grateful for those I love, those who walk the road of faith in Jesus together with me.

Lord, this morning the prayer welling up in me is one of thanks and love… to You, my God for the gift of loved ones that You have provided. I am also so thankful and grateful for my family, friends and church family. Even though they are far away, I feel their love, I miss their companionship and I left them in prayer, knowing that You can bridge the miles and let my prayers be effectual, by Your grace in their lives.

Lord, I am grateful, too, that I am never alone.   Your presence is with me, Your love carries me. I am forever grateful for Your love and presence. In Jesus name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment