Thursday, July 22: Colossians 1-No namby-pamby prayer

 

Some day I think it would be interesting to put all of Paul’s prayers side by side. I think I will learn a thing or two about prayer when I do. In Colossians 1, Paul prays one of his powerful prayers:

For this reason, since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you and asking God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all spiritual wisdom and understanding. And we pray this in order that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, and joyfully giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in the kingdom of light (9-12).

I hope people pray that kind of prayer for me. I long to be filled with spiritual wisdom so that I can live a life worthy of my Lord, so that my life can bear kingdom fruit, so that I can continually grow in knowledge and understanding of God, so that I will have endurance and patience no matter what the hand of God allows to come my way.

Yes, I invite anyone who reads this, to pray this prayer for me… to pray it often and continually for me… because, by God’s Grace, that is the kind of life I want to live for my Lord Jesus and I need the prayers of others to do so.

And I will pray it for all who read this devotional…

O, God, I pray for all who read Colossians 1 today, that you will fill them with the knowledge of You, along with all spiritual wisdom and understanding. And Lord, I pray this in order that they may live a life worthy of You. Lord, may it please You in every way. May it bear fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of You, God.  May they be strengthened with all power, according to Your glorious might so that they may have great endurance and patience as they live for You, Lord. Also may they joyfully give thanks to the Father, who has qualified them to share in the inheritance of the saints in the kingdom of light. God, for Your sake may it be so… Amen.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment