Tuesday, July 20: Philippians 3- Being a good person is not enough

I like good people, honest people. They make good friends and companions. They are honest and for the most part they live up to their word, keep confidences and are, well, generally good. I kind of fancy myself as a good person, too.

Being a good person is good!

But when it comes to eternity and heaven and salvation, being good is not enough. One blemish, one mistake, one sin, no matter how small, is enough to keep anyone, even a good person, out of heaven.

Paul discussed this topic when he wrote, If anyone else thinks he has reasons to put confidence in the flesh, I have more: circumcised on the eighth day, of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; in regard to the law, a Pharisee; as for zeal, persecuting the church; as for legalistic righteousness, faultless.

But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. (4b-7).

Friends, it is faith in Jesus Christ, and faith alone, that saves a person, brings them into a relationship with God and guarantees eternal life when they die. Have you put your Faith in Jesus? Or are you still trusting that you are a good enough person to make it to heaven on your own? Paul was about as good (religiously speaking) as a person could get and he knew his goodness was not sufficient. Being good does not guarantee salvation, only Faith in Jesus Christ brings salvation.

Dear God -Father, Jesus and Holy Spirit- I want to thank You for showing the correct way, the way of Faith in Jesus. I praise You for the faith I have in Jesus. I am eternally in Your debt, O God.

Even more, through faith in Jesus, I can have this on going living relationship with You. I can come to You with any trouble, I can share with You any heartache, I can rejoice with You and thank You for every blessing. I love You, my God. I will serve and walk with You all the days of my life… in Jesus’ name, Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment