Wednesday, July 14: Ephesians 4- Pulling for one-another

As I conclude my reading and begin to mull over God’s teachings in this chapter, one unifying theme I hear is, “Are you building fellow-believers up?” I realize there is much more going on in this chapter.  However, as I read I see every paragraph encouraging readers to be building others up, to maintain a manner of living that helps others grow in the Lord.

I went back and re-read the chapter and some highlights that caught my attention and offer practicality to my devotions this morning.

Verses 2-3: be patient, bearing with one another… keep the unity. I am programmed by education and sports to push to be number one, climb over, get passed or surpass that person next to me. God suggests a different style of living, one that bears and maintains unity. This will take some work for me, first envisioning it and secondly living it…

Verses 25-30: speak truthfully, don’t let anger get the best of you-reconcile, watch your language, speak in positive encouraging ways, be kind and forgiving. We are in this ‘walk with Jesus’ with others. Make the most of your partners!

There is so much practical living teaching here.  I think the best thing for me will be to read it one more time.   Then I better pray because there is no way I can do this on my own…

O, God, help me. So much of what You are showing me this morning is counter to my natural inclination. I cannot come close to living this way on my own. I need You and I need the inner workings of the Holy Spirit in my life desperately. Forgive me for all the times I fall short and help me!  Please help me to grow to be a person who exudes Your character. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment