Monday, July 19: Philippians 2-Work hard to live like Jesus

 

This chapter opens with strong words calling believers to live radical lives, lives that consider others more than self. No where in Scripture does it suggest that the way of Jesus will be easy…

To make his point, Paul writes or adapts a hymn to Jesus Christ (5-11). Listen to it one more time: Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:

Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,

but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.

And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death-- even death on a cross!

Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name,

that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth,

and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Verse 12 follows, beginning with a ‘therefore,’ which suggests that it is a summary or injunction to action built upon the preceding thought. Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed--not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence--continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling,

It is the bolded words at the conclusion of verse 12 that led to my morning meditation in Scripture.

The way of Jesus is not easy.  The call to follow Jesus and to be like Jesus challenges me (us) to the very core of our being. Following Jesus will take work and lots of it. Following Jesus will take diligence and lots of it. Naturally human attitudes are selfish but disciples are to live a different way (3-4).  We are to adopt Jesus’ attitude, which was one of humbleness and obedience to the Father in all things.  This led Jesus to the cross! Living this way, Paul aptly says, will require us to work at with fear and trembling, to work with diligence and effort.

At this point the Spirit whispered, “Bill, are you living this way?”

Lord, I am not. On my better days I try -falling short often. On my not so good days, I am not sure I try. I coast. I let selfish, self-consuming attitudes motivate me. I need Your help, oh, Lord. I need more fear and trembling before Your majesty and Your holiness, O Lord. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment