Tuesday, July 6: Galatians 3-Two ways to life, law or faith.

You and I have two options when it comes to our life before God. We can live by law, We can try and strain and work and try some more to live perfectly and not break any God-laws or we can live by faith in Jesus Christ. Option A or B, you get to choose, I get to choose, everyone gets to choose… law or faith.

There is only one problem, the options do not have the same outcome, as Paul notes (10-11): All who rely on observing the law are under a curse, for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law." Clearly no one is justified before God by the law, because, "The righteous will live by faith." The big problem with the law is that no one can live up to the law perfectly and if we break one part of the law, we have broken the law.

Picture it like this.  You move into a house and your yard is not fenced in when you unpack. You have a dog. You run to the hardware store and buy a long chain so your dog can have the ‘run of the back yard’ until you can get a fence installed. The chain is very long, 1000 links. Naturally your pup will test the chain, pulling on it as he sniffs the furthest corners of his reach. No big deal. If, however, when the dog is enjoying the yard one link breaks, it doesn’t matter which one, now the dog is free to run away and into the busy street. All it takes is for one link of the chain to break and the chain is broken. The same with the law, break it at any point, even the smallest point, and it is broken.

Paul saw the problem with the law, " Clearly no one is justified before God by the law!

Faith in Jesus Christ is the other option. Faith in Jesus Christ brings us into God’s family and makes us heirs of God’s promise of salvation. You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise (26-29).

Before you close your Bible or turn the page on these thoughts, ask yourself, “Which option have you chosen for life…..law or faith?”

I pray you chose faith in Jesus Christ. I did 35+ years ago and I am so glad I did. My life is so much better. I have found unconditional love from Jesus, a peace and security that bank accounts and 401K’s can never provide.

If you have never done so, I invite you to pray today and ask Jesus to become Lord and God of your life. Here is a prayer you might pray to do so:

Dear Jesus, I have been trying to be a good person in my own strength and I have made mistakes and sinned and hurt myself and others. I want to choose a different way, the way of believing in You. Jesus, I put my faith in You. I cannot do it on my own. I ask You to become Lord and Director of my life. I ask You to please forgive my sins. And I ask You to give me a desire to read and live by Your Word, the Bible. Please send Your Holy Spirit to be with me every moment of every day as I choose to exercise my faith in You. In Your name, Jesus, I pray, Amen.

 

(If you sat with God and prayed this prayer, please do me a favor let me know and let someone else you know who loves Jesus know, too. I would love to help you grow stronger in your faith in Jesus and I’m sure your friend would, too.)

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment