Saturday, July 24: Colossians 3- Live differently

The gospel of Jesus Christ will change a person’s life, at least that is the message of scripture. People who follow Jesus should live differently from people who don’t. Jesus, Paul, Peter, James and the other NT teachers were never afraid so say how one should live now that they are following Jesus.

The message that I heard reading Colossians 3 is live differently. The chapter from beginning to end sends that message and sends it pointedly … Live differently.

Paul’s starting point is aspirations… calling Christ followers to set your minds on things above, (i.e. on God)… reading these words the Spirit pushes in, “Bill, what are your dreams, hopes, aspirations? Are they God-focused or you-focused? Bill, look inside and ask yourself. No speeding here, take your time, Bill. Probe.”

Next, God reminds me of living styles before trusting Jesus (5-11)… asking if I have truly given up those ways or have I, in some ways, reverted back to the former ways of living. Again, tough questions follow.  The list is not pleasant to review honestly.

God makes one more stop, now looking at life-virtues He delights for us to emulate. The whisper of the Spirit comes, “Bill, how are you doing, cultivating these virtues and habits… compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience, forbearance, forgiveness and love? Bill, are these life qualities increasing in your life???” And then as I read on, I hear God driving into this question in particular areas of my life… my marriage, my child rearing, my work. It is as God is saying, “Don’t be generic, Bill, get specific. Are you cultivating these virtuous habits at home, with your kids, at you place of employment? I want you to live differently because you follow My Son.  Live differently, Bill, live differently.”

O, God, today’s time with You was a tough assignment. I fear I am not living as differently as You would desire. Forgive me. Help me grow more resolute in my following of You, in my obedience to You, in my aspirations to be about Your business. O, God, open my life more deeply to the work of You, the Holy Spirit in my life, so that by Your strength, I might live for You. In Jesus name, Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment