Friday, February 18: 1Chronicles 23- Passing the baton...

   One track and field event is the 4x100-meter relay. Teams take their fastest sprinters, creating teams of four. But speed alone does not win this event, team work does, and specifically, passing the baton from one runner to another. Especially in this short relay, the hand-off is critically important. These races are often won by the smallest of margins and many races are lost by a sloppy, slow or botched baton hand-off.

   In life, societies, groups, organizations and even churches that desire a lasting legacy face critical "baton-passing" moments when leadership shifts from one person to another. David understood the importance of passing the baton of faith on to his son and leaders in Israel as he neared his death.

   Verses 1-2 introduce the closing chapters of 1Chronicles; David's passing of the baton on to those who will lead Israel and build the Lord's Temple in Jerusalem: When David was old and full of years, he made his son Solomon king over Israel. He also gathered together all the leaders of Israel, as well as the priests and Levites.

   Those of us who lead organizations would be wise to watch David and pray for the Lord's leading as we near and then face our baton-handoff. Calling together the leaders, imparting your imprimatur, vision and blessing, then letting go, are three elements I see in David's hand off. I invite you, who lead groups, to think and pray about this before the situation arises. Vision handoff and leadership succession are critical for the continuation of the group.  Entrepreneurs are not necessarily good at this element of leadership.

   As I mused on this text, I journeyed to another handoff, the handoff of faith to the next generation. As a dad (mom, grandparent, aunt, uncle...), I think and pray about the handing off of faith to my kids and those in my family who come after me...

   Lord, I need continued wisdom to instill and strengthen the faith of my children and select others whom I have mentored in the faith. Lord, give me wisdom to finish well and to pay attention to the handoff of faith to those who will come after me... In Jesus' name and for the sake of His kingdom, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment