Wednesday, February 2: 1Chronicles 9- Gate keeping.

I was surprised during my morning reading at the amount of detail given to the gate keepers for the house of the Lord. They guarded the house of the Lord at night, locked it securely for the night and opened it in the morning. Some were assigned the task of numbering the articles of the house of the Lord and making sure, daily, that everything was accounted for. Gate keeping was an involved, significant, and important task. No wonder the text notes that gate keepers were considered positions of trust (22).

All of this got me thinking about the role of gate keeping of another sort… gate keeping of our mind, heart and soul. Gate keeping is a word picture I associate with being watchful, regarding the kinds of things I allow to enter my life. When I think of gate keeping, I think about the kinds of things I listen to and watch, and particularly the topics and things I think about and dwell upon. A radio comment, music lyrics, a movie scene can spark a thought seemingly out of the blue. Sometimes these thoughts are wholesome, sometimes not.  Gate keeping is my ability to recognize the difference and to shutdown any flirtation with or dwelling upon things that are not wholesome.

Reading the text about the intricacies of gate keeping and the trust levied upon those called to be gatekeepers, I found myself realizing how important and involved the role of gate keeping is, in and for my life.  And how vigilant I have to be to keep bad influence at bay, so I can walk a faith-filled life with Jesus. Gate keeping is a job that never ends and generally does its most important work during times of vulnerability.

Lord, I pray for vigilance, wisdom and astuteness in the gate keeping of my life… Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment