Saturday, February 12: 1Chronicles 18- In the tough place remember

While I was reading today, I recalled that Chronicles was likely written during or shortly after the Babylonian captivity. As the Israelites sat exiled in a foreign land because of their disobedience, someone, likely a priest (some believe it was Ezra), took the time to remember and record their heritage. That’s what I was reading… a God-inspired remembrance of Jewish history.

With that thought noodling in the background, I took in the successes of David’s reign offered in this chapter. But it wasn’t merely a summary of the great King David, it was a remembering of what God did for David and therefore, for all Israelites. I noticed a repeated sentence first in verse 6 and then again in verse 12, The LORD gave David victory everywhere he went.

The LORD gave David victory wherever he went.

THE LORD GAVE…

I imagined the sense of defeat the Israelites must have felt as exiles in Babylon. The wonderings about whether God would ever help them again. I visited times in my life when I felt beat up, drained, punished, even exiled from God. What this inspired writer was doing was remembering and recording for the people what God had done in the past.  He also was recording what God is capable and willing to do for His people when they acknowledge Him.

Remembering what God has done in the past for me and for those I love, gives me hope in the present and this is particularly important when the present is a time when hopelessness is rearing its ugly head in my life.

Spend a few moments before you move to the rest of your day remembering what God has done in your life and for people you love and care about. Remember the events and the facts, remember how you felt in those moments, remember the strength it gave to your faith… remember the works of God experienced in your life. Remember…

Give thanks to the Lord for He is good. His love endures forever. Amen

 

No comments:

Post a Comment