Monday, February 21: 1Chronicles 25- the place of music

Reading this chapter I found myself pondering music as it pertains to worship. As David establishes the Temple and all who will minister there, music plays an important role. This chapter is all about establishing those who will lead and provide music at the Temple. I found myself focusing on verse 6: All these men were under the supervision of their fathers for the music of the temple of the LORD, with cymbals, lyres and harps, for the ministry at the house of God…

There is something about music.  It can connect and move places deep within us in a way that the spoken word, even poetry, simply cannot. I don’t understand it, I can’t really articulate it but I have experienced it. I suspect that you have as well.

All I can conclude is that God made us this way, which is why God prompted David to appoint musicians and establish a guild to maintain music at the Temple.

I experience the power of music weekly during worship. The songs we sing and the instrumental pieces that fill the sanctuary during times of meditation and contemplation enrich my time with the Lord. Now I have my preferred style of music but I have been moved to deep places with the Lord by all kinds of music.

I stood among a crowd of Africans swaying, clapping and singing carried along by simple rudimentary percussion instruments, gourds and pottery and sticks. God reached into places of my life I rarely visit through the music.

Another time, I stood in a grand auditorium surrounded by 5-10,000 worshippers as we sang contemporary worship songs lead by an extraordinary band. I recall one particular moment where the video monitors focused in on a violinist whose face ‘shone’ with delight and as he played for the Lord… his countenance and skill took me to the very throne of grace.

I could go on and on about experiences I have had with music in worship.

And so this morning I found myself appreciating the Lord for giving us devoted people who can take us to deep places of the heart and to the throne of grace with their gifts of music.

Thank You, Lord, for God honoring music and musicians… Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment