Monday, February 14: 1Chronicles 19- The power of a cause.

 

The intrigue of human life is visible throughout this chapter with people trying to read minds and intentions… and getting it wrong. Does that ever happen in my relationships!

Rather than admitting our mistake(s), seeking forgiveness and a reasonable solution, we escalate the situation to fighting.  Guilty again.

What stood out most prominently for me was how the power of a cause strengthens a person. On the one side, Joab and his troops were fighting for family and God: Be strong and let us fight bravely for our people and the cities of our God. The LORD will do what is good in his sight (13). Most of the troops assembled against them were mercenaries fighting for money. When the battle intensifies and the odds are stacked against me I may give my life for a cause I believe in deeply. A paycheck simply doesn’t provide the same motivation. This basic observation carries into many arenas of life.  A person with deeply held convictions is willing to sacrifice more, work harder and persevere longer…

My thoughts shift –I assume it is God’s Spirit- questions of inner conviction flash. “Bill. what will you sacrifice for Me? Bill, how hard will you work to advance My kingdom?” Other thoughts of similar ilk twirl in my thoughts. I am left alone with my thoughts pondering the depth of my conviction to God and to fulfill God’s causes.

It is easy to say, “Jesus, I will follow You until the end. I will do what You ask me to do and be about the things You ask me to be about.” Words are easy to say but do I have the inner conviction to live them? Because the power to do so comes from within…

Lord, I sit here this morning desiring to be Your person through and through… to have the conviction displayed by Jesus who went to the cross, by Peter, James, John and Paul who willingly gave all they had, to do what You asked them to do… to be so fully committed to You, Lord… that is my desire as I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment