Saturday, July 30: Proverbs 10- Cascading proverbs

Most of Proverbs reads like this chapter, pithy sayings on various subjects spliced together like pictures in a video montage. Sometimes my thoughts grow from themes I hear as I read, other times a particular proverb chapters my meditations. Today I noticed a bit of both.

There seemed to be a number of proverbs concerning our words.I pondered for a while about how I use my tongue. Do I use it to build up or tear down, to encourage or dishearten, for truth or bending the truth to suit my situation? Words are powerful tools and like the many power tools that fill my woodshop, when used correctly they can produce wondrous items.  However, when used incorrectly, they can injure a limb or integer in a nanosecond.

I pondered my words, which can often be strong and correcting, but can be appropriate when necessary. Question is, ‘do I balance strong and correcting with encouraging, uplifting and loving’? Hmmm, that’s one ‘ponder point’ for my time with the Lord this morning.

A second came as I read verse 29: The way of the LORD is a refuge for the righteous, but it is the ruin of those who do evil. I thought about the various reactions I have seen to the God of the Bible and the Words of Scripture. For some it is a stumbling stone and others, honey. As Solomon put it, ‘for some it is a refuge, for others ruin’. I pondered my responses to the way of the Lord. My reactions are not universally one way or the other. For those who have been following my reading, you know.  Sometimes God’s way hits me hard and challenges me deeply and at other times, I am able to receive it effortlessly…

Lord, I pray that as I grow and mature in You that I grow more and more able to receive and accept Your way in all areas of my life. I pray that I find my refuge in You and not in myself or in my culture or in my anything.

There is a song, Lord, that goes simply….Jesus be the center, be my source, be my life, Jesus.  May it be so. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment