Friday, March 16: John 12- Lazarus.

I have never had a bounty on my head. I imagine knowing people were out to kill me would add significant stress to my life. Jesus knew the leaders wanted Him dead. He also had a perfect relationship with the Father and understood that in the Father’s time His death would provide reconciliation for all who believe in God through Him.

But then there is Lazarus, a friend of Jesus’ and brother to Martha and Mary. His claim to fame was that he died and Jesus brought him back to life. Because he was raised from the dead, he was placed on the Jewish leaders hit list. So the chief priests made plans to kill Lazarus as well, for on account of him many of the Jews were going over to Jesus and putting their faith in him (10-11).

My thoughts and musings went in many directions, wondering about Lazarus’ stress level and wondering what it would be like to come back to life after four days in the tomb. However, I  then began wondering what it would be like to live my life in such a faithful manner that on account of me and my life many put their faith in Jesus…

Was it the miracle or his life that drew people to Jesus or a combination of both? Lazarus was not the only person Jesus brought back from the dead, but of none of the others are we told that their life led many to faith in Jesus. So there certainly was a character and witness to Lazarus’ life that made him a beacon pointing to Jesus…

Lord, Jesus, I don’t have a miraculous and well know testimony like Lazarus. However, that is no excuse., Lazarus was not the only person Jesus brought back from the dead. So, Lord, I am not off the hook. Help me, Jesus, to be a beacon point to You. Help me to cultivate a life that shines so brightly for You that many come to faith in You because of the way I live. In Jesus name. Amen.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment