Wednesday, March 21: John 16- The days are coming .

When I watch the world I continually scratch my head.  How can people kill others in the name of religion and believe God approves? From the time of Cain and Able (Genesis 3), God has despised murder.

Jesus doesn’t explain people’s reasoning, but He does warn His disciples that this will happen and that His followers will be the victims. "All this I have told you so that you will not go astray. They will put you out of the synagogue; in fact, a time is coming when anyone who kills you will think he is offering a service to God. They will do such things because they have not known the Father or me. I have told you this, so that when the time comes you will remember that I warned you. I did not tell you this at first because I was with you.

On the one hand this is little comfort when I read of fellow believers killed for their faith around the world. Yet on the other hand, Jesus did warn us. He warned us that we would be persecuted. He warned us that His way was narrow and difficult and, yes, He warned us that we might be killed by people who believe they are serving God.

In following Jesus, He does not guarantee us a sweet time this side of eternity. What He promises is thatHe will be with us, that He will send the Comforter, the Holy Spirit, to be with us and that the Spirit will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come (13).

Following Jesus doesn’t guarantee an easy life.  It guarantees eternal life! Think about it.

Jesus, thank You for sending the Holy Spirit. Thank You for the Comforter and Counselor Who is with us and Who will guide us each day and carry us into eternity with You and the Father.

Thanks be to God. Alleluia, Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment