Tuesday, March 13: John 9- Threats.

Reading the New Testament I am continually astonished by the threats placed on the early believers. Their world is so different from ours. Even during Jesus’ time, threats were levied. I was struck by this again as I read of this man healed from blindness. His parents confirmed their son’s healing but wouldn’t say how because of Jewish leaders threats. His parents said this because they were afraid of the Jews, for already the Jews had decided that anyone who acknowledged that Jesus was the Christ would be put out of the synagogue (22).

We never hear if the parents believe in Jesus. The man healed wasn’t deterred by the Jewish threats but apparently his parents were. I wonder how many others were kept from belief in Jesus due to the Jewish leaders threats of expulsion.

I am not in the same boat as the parents. I have confessed Jesus as Lord and Savior. However, maybe someone perusing this blog is held back by some threat (real or perceived) from confessing Jesus. I wish I had special words that could help you to cross the line of faith and believe in Jesus. All I can say is that believing in Jesus has been the best decision of my life and I know God will fill your life with the same if you confess Jesus.

Then my thoughts flipped.  I began to extrapolate on this idea of threats. I began to examine my life to see if there were any threats (perceived or real) that keep me from fully devoting my life to Jesus, that hold me back and cause me to play it safe within my faith in Jesus. This is one difficult question, but one worth asking and praying about.

Lord, Jesus, help me to get over any lingering areas of unbelief in my life so that I can be more fully devoted to You.  So that I can and will serve You with reckless abandon, to Your will and Your way, no matter the cost I would have to bear. I pray this in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment