Saturday, March 17: John 13- Washing Feet.

Washing feet.  Have you, as an adult, ever washed the feet of someone else? Have you ever had your feet washed by someone else? I have.  Once in a church, I took part in a foot washing where my feet were washed. It was more symbolic than actual, and yet there was something powerful about having someone wash and dry my feet. Another time I was given a pedicure at a men’s spa. First, let me say the pedicure was luxurious, so relaxing. It began with my feet getting washed, dried and lotioned. This was the luxurious part but I found myself wondering what it is like for those who washed my feet, to spend days hunched below people, taking smelly feet and washing them all day. It is not glamorous work!

Now remove the ‘spa’ atmosphere and the salary paid and the relatively clean environment of our world, and the task is even more humbling. In the ancient world, feet were dirty and grimy from constantly walking dirt and dust covered roads. You have seen parades where people follow horses to clean their messes off the street,  That job didn’t exist in the ancient world. People wore sandals.   Maybe they went around barefoot. You get the picture. It is little wonder why the lowest servant/slave in the pecking order got the foot washing job!

Jesus the Teacher and Lord (13) stooped to wash and dry his disciples feet to make a point. When he had finished washing their feet, he put on his clothes and returned to his place. "Do you understand what I have done for you?" he asked them. "You call me 'Teacher' and 'Lord,' and rightly so, for that is what I am. Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another's feet. I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. I tell you the truth, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them (12-17).

His point… we –Christ-followers- are to serve others. No service is to menial for a Christ-follower. No service is beneath us.

As the point settled in my soul, the Spirit began a parade of names and faces in my mind… my wife, kids, co-workers, people I naturally like and those not so much. “Serve them,” came the Spirit’s whisper. “Wash their feet…”

Oh, Lord, I am so much better at superficiality, symbolically washing feet in a church service. However, to really and honestly serve, I am not so good. When it benefits me, I am okay at service, but when it is real and honest, down in the dust service, I am not so good.

O, God, I fall so far short of Your example, Jesus. Forgive me.  And even more, help me to become like You. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment