Thursday, March 1: Lamentations 4- When leaders cease to be honorable.

The sad and disturbing tale of the fall of Jerusalem continues. Jeremiah saw unspeakable horrors as God unleashed His wrath and people resorted to terrible actions.

Buried in the lament of Jeremiah lies verse 13, But it happened because of the sins of her prophets and the iniquities of her priests, who shed within her the blood of the righteous.

I stare at that verse. The fall of the nation rests on the backs of its leaders. Those who should have been the backbone of honor, who should provided a moral compass, became derelict in their duties. Jeremiah accuses them of shedding within her the blood of the righteous. These leaders didn’t kill people, they didn’t kill ideas; they killed morality. They killed righteousness –the following after the Lord and His ways. This is so much worse! The moral lapses and inhuman actions of the people (women eating their children to survive) grows directly out of the actions and misguided leadership of the prophets and priests who shed within her the blood of the righteous within the gates of Jerusalem.

This word from the Lord sends a chill down my spine.  All around us, in places of power and authority, I see people who shed within her the blood of the righteous. People who are willing to look the other way, to bend rules to suit personal gain, people willing to compromise righteousness. I see it in politicians, business leaders, coaches, entertainment and, yes, even religious leaders.

Oh, God, where are we headed?

Lord, today’s listen to Your Word causes me to wonder where the world I live in is headed. Our leaders seem to have no sense of Your righteousness or even general righteousness. Are we on a path similar to Judah?

Lord, in my position as pastor, I carry Your mantle within my community. Help me, please, not to succumb to the influences of the world and life and …. Help me to uphold righteousness that pleases You, especially when it isn’t fashionable. Allow me to do it with a spirit of humility, recognizing You, alone, are perfect and holy and I am not.

I pray this for Your glory and in the name of Jesus and through the power of the Holy Spirit on whom I rely for strength to be a man about You, O Lord. Amen.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment