Thursday, March 15: John 11-Different responses to Jesus.

I am always surprised by the varied responses to Jesus. Some people seem to believe easily, some struggle but finally believe.  Others struggle and eventually choose not to believe and then, still others dismiss Jesus out of hand. I see that all around me. And here it was in the story of Lazarus being brought back to life.

I would think that seeing someone walk out of a tomb where he had been dead for three days would cause everyone to believe, but apparently not so. After Lazarus was called out of the tomb by Jesus, we read, Therefore many of the Jews who had come to visit Mary, and had seen what Jesus did, put their faith in him. But some of them went to the Pharisees and told them what Jesus had done. Then the chief priests and the Pharisees called a meeting of the Sanhedrin. … So from that day on they plotted to take his life (45-47, 53).

There we have it the same spread, belief to distain. I guess Jesus will always engender various responses…

As I mull this over, I am heartened to spread the news of Jesus because some will believe. Who and how and why will be a mystery to me. But some will believe and that’s the joy of sharing Jesus.

And if I share Jesus in appropriate and honest ways, I can remain friends with everyone with whom I share Jesus, no matter their response. This, too, is comforting news.

Lord, help me to be open and transparent in sharing Jesus will others. Help me to listen to Your whispers about when and how to share Jesus. After that, Lord, I leave the response in Your hands. I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen. 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment