Wednesday, March 7: John 4- Gift, peace, challenge.

The richness of John’s Gospel continues to amaze me even after 35+ years. Three verses leapt up at me as I read this morning. I will try to keep my thoughts brief…

Verse 10: Jesus answered her, "If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water." The way Jesus answered hit me. Jesus is the gift of God. Jesus was the one who asked her for a drink. I spent some time thinking about Jesus as God’s gift.  Gifts are unmerited, gifts show we are loved, gifts provide something we need, gifts are often a surprise…

Yes, Jesus is God’s gift to us. Alleluia!

Verse 27: Just then his disciples returned and were surprised to find him talking with a woman… I noticed how Jesus is having this amazing conversation with the woman. Just as it climaxes, the disciples arrive. God’s timing is perfect. I imagine that if they had arrived five minutes sooner the conversation would never have made it to Jesus’ pronouncement of Messiah-ship. However,  God orchestrated all things, even the length of a conversation.

This helps me trust that when I am in a spiritual conversation, God will orchestrate things so that I have just the right amount of time to say what God needs me to say. My task is to pay attention to the Spirit and follow His lead. He will see that things work out to the end the Father desires.

This gives me courage and peace as I seek to witness to Him.

Verses 40-41: So when the Samaritans came to him, they urged him to stay with them, and he stayed two days. And because of his words many more became believers. Jews and Samaritans didn’t get along and didn’t socialize. It is amazing that Jesus struck up a conversation with a Samaritan woman and now He is staying TWO days in a Samaritan village. Jesus never ceases to amaze me, how he will cross human-made barriers to share God’s love and message!

This challenges me to be bold and to stretch past my comfort zone in the name of Jesus and for the Gospel sake.

Oh, Father, may I have the boldness and love that Jesus had to take Your message of grace to every person You bring to me. May I be bold in following Your will and winsome as I follow the leading and promptings of the Holy Spirit, who guides me to do all that You would have me do. May my life bring honor to You, Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Through Jesus, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment