Friday, June 15: 1Thessalonians 3 - Faith and love.

Faith and love were two words that kept appearing in this brief chapter. After having spent only a short time in Thessalonica, Paul left and now he was fearful for the faith of the church people who remained in the city. For this reason, when I could stand it no longer, I sent to find out about your faith. I was afraid that in some way the tempter might have tempted you and our efforts might have been useless (5). Were they standing strong in the face of opposition and persecution? So Paul prayed for them. Night and day we pray most earnestly that we may see you again and supply what is lacking in your faith (10).

His prayer was that they would flourish in love and be built up in faith. May the Lord make your love increase and overflow for each other and for everyone else, just as ours does for you. May he strengthen your hearts so that you will be blameless and holy in the presence of our God and Father when our Lord Jesus comes with all his holy ones (12-13).

But Paul was equally concerned that love was flourishing among them as he was that their faith was continuing through the persecutions.

Faith and love. Love and faith. They go hand in hand. Faith… our following of God; what we believe; the truths we hold; and the religious actions we do; is balanced and made visible in the practical love we extend to others –both friends and foes.

Faith and love…

I laid that template on my life. Faith and love… am I growing in both? Would people see my faith in the way I love others? Do I love others as faith in Jesus demands?

How about you?

I took Paul’s prayer and prayed it for me. It is quite a powerful prayer. Consider praying it earnestly for yourself as well.

Lord, may You make Your love in me increase and overflow for others –friends and foes alike. May You strengthen my heart so that I will be blameless and holy in the presence of our God and Father when our Lord Jesus comes with all his holy ones. Amen.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment