Wednesday, June 27: Daniel 5 - A roller coaster career.

Up one day and unknown the next, such is Daniel’s career.

Last Saturday (Daniel 2) we read of the meteoric rise of Daniel to ‘second-in-command’ in Nebuchadnezzar’s leadership team. Now in the regime of Nebuchadnezzar’s son, Daniel is a forgotten man. Only after all the high ranking magicians couldn’t help did someone think of Daniel and ask for his help. Apparently, Daniel had been cast aside.

We are not told how Daniel handled the demotion, but every indication from the book is that his integrity and faithfulness to God never wavered.  Apparently, too, he never burned bridges.

Daniel was a man of godly honor when he was the center of attention and when he lived in obscurity.

As that last sentence was being keyed in, the Spirit’s nudge came…

“Be a Daniel. Don’t seek personal fame or fortune. Live with integrity and faithfulness to Me every day. If you speak to paupers or kings, speak only truth, the truth I teach you. Leave your life to Me. Find your identity in Me, not your position or anything else…”

There you have it, my word from the Lord for today.

Lord, it is much easier to have these thoughts than to live them. I can be seduced by power, prestige and money. I ask not only for forgiveness when it happens but for wisdom to recognize when it is happening in my life.  I ask for an open heart and ears to hear You calling me back to center in You and strength to follow Your way back to faithful living.

As the hymn writer put it, ‘I need You every hour…’ without You I stray. Through Jesus, I pray. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment