Thursday, June 7: James 1 - The joy of trials.

A little over a month ago, my church, which was in the midst of wrestling with a difficult issue, was at a critical juncture of decision. During that time, James 1:2-8 became particularly helpful for me. As I sought the Lord, I even used it one day as a prayer guide for our church as we gathered to pray about the important decision we had to make. James instructed the church:

Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That man should not think he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all he does.

Some things I pondered, then and again this morning, went like this…

Even thought I dislike trials and heartache, it is precisely those times that shape me and give me depth of character and the perseverance I need to lead a life that honors Jesus. Sadly, trials can produce strength of character and bitterness in my character.  Questions I needed to ask myself were about which was forming in me and I needed to pray that Christ-like character and perseverance were being formed in me.

I don’t have all wisdom.   I desperately need God’s help and wisdom to sift through the options and come to the place God wants me to be. What a gift God offers to me when He offers wisdom. [I am not sure I understand it, but the line about giving wisdom without finding fault… intrigues me and demands considerable thought.]

Another element was ‘not being double-minded’  When I believe I have heard and received wisdom from God, I need to stand on that. Waffling is something I distain in politicians. Tell me what you believe, I can agree or disagree. Either way I will honor the person for his/her convictions, just don’t be a spineless jellyfish who seems to believe what appears most prudent in the present moment. I hear echoes of this same sentiment in James’ admonition to not be double-minded. And this convicts me because I know too well how I can and do waffle…

This morning these thoughts drive me to prayer…

Oh, God, form Your character in me. As I go through trials, please chip off my rough ungod-like characteristics and form in me, You character. Lord, please don’t let the furnace of trials and temptations to harden me in ways that You do not like, but use the trials to teach me Your way, Your character, Your life… through Jesus, who endured more than I can imagine to save me, I pray. Amen.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment