Thursday, June 14: 1Thessalonians 2 - Truth spoken in love.

We speak as men approved by God to be entrusted with the gospel. We are not trying to please men but God, who tests our hearts…. We were not looking for praise from men, not from you or anyone else (4, 6a).

I admire and am challenged by these words. For me, anyway, it is not easy to live this way. I much prefer when people like me. I am sure this leaks into my heart and mind impacting the way I speak to people and the words I choose.

Am I absolutely faithful to God in my words? Possibly not… probably not.

I sit here hoping, praying, that I have not greatly disappointed my Lord and that I have not mutilated the Gospel because of my preference to be liked.

I sit here asking God for more steel in my backbone, while at the same time, more seasoning in my tongue, so that when I need to be straight with people I can do so in ways that are not unnecessarily hurtful or caustic. Paul uses double descriptors in Ephesians suggesting that we “speak the truth in love” (Ephesians 4:15).

Herein lies the Spirit’s nudge this morning… to have me grow in speaking the truth in love.

Oh, Lord, the longer I live with and follow You, the more and more I need You. The longer I live with and follow You, the more gaps I see in my life that need the repair work of Your Holy Spirit.

Holy Spirit, come and remodel my life so that it is a fit residence and worthy monument to Jesus, my Savior, to my Almighty Father and to You, Oh Spirit, my Comforter and Counselor. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment