Friday, June 8: James 2 - Don't show favoritism.

Ouch… three words exposed me. Don't show favoritism (1).

Reading those words, I was cut to the heart. In an instant I saw in myself all manner of favoritism. I make instant judgments about people, by their race, accent, clothes, education, appearance, smile or lack there of, and any number of other factors.

I don’t want to but I do. Often times it just happens.

As I sit here confronted with my own favoritisms, I begin to ask myself how can I keep in check those instant judgments so that I don’t act on them, so that I allow love to determine my actions not my instant impressions…

Then I thought if I can foster Christ’s love rather than my instant reactions maybe over time Christ’s love will overcome my natural tendency to make instant judgments based on superficial stuff .  That way I will grow to see people with Jesus’ eyes…

Oh, Lord, forgive me for the many pockets of favoritism that live within me. Even more, Lord, help me to gain victory over the very fleshly part of my old nature that still resides in me.

In Jesus’ name, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment