Wednesday, June 13: 1Thessalonians 1 - The mysterious work of God.

I wish I could understand and predict how and when God will work. A great move of God occurred in Thessalonica bringing to faith a number of people despite severe suffering (6). No one would expect that, and yet that is exactly what Paul describes. And even more so, the power of God rang out from Thessalonica to neighboring countries (8).

I wish I could bottle whatever it was that happened there. I wish I could turn it into an equation…X and Y and God will move dramatically. But it doesn’t work that way…

I pondered the moving of God.

Despite no precise formula, faith and obedience (by Paul Silas and Timothy); the gospel put into words; the power of God; and the working of the Holy Spirit (5)’ were all factors in the conversion of the Thessalonians from belief in idols to belief in the living and true God (9).

My thoughts slide to today. I cannot control the move of the Holy Spirit. Rather I need to be obedient to His promptings and direction, which requires faith on my part. I can prepare myself so that I can explain simply and accurately the Gospel. I can also learn be open to the power of God using me and others in dramatic ways as He chooses. So even though I cannot predict or orchestrate a move of God, I can be prepared so when it comes I can be used of God to usher people to the Lord as the Spirit prompts and directs…

Hmmmm, much to think about, and much work to do to prepare…

Lord, make a channel of Your love. Unclog my ears so that I may hear You clearly. Strengthen my heart so that upon hearing I will have faith to follow You obediently. Expand my mind and dismantle any misconceptions I have of You that limits how You can work in and through me, so that I believe You move mightily and in power… I pray all this so Your kingdom advances and people come to know and follow Jesus as Lord. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment