Saturday, June 9: James 3 - Taming the tongue.

Ugh, why today… the tongue?! Before my eyes even focused on God’s Word, the section title pierced me, “Taming the tongue.” As a person whose life is to speak, teach, pray, lead my words mound up. This chapter humbles me.

It beings with the first note, Not many of you should presume to be teachers, my brothers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly (1). Talk about humbling!!! And it builds from there. We all stumble in many ways. (2a)… no man can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be (8-10).

I am undone.

My mind begins to weigh the difference between taming and harnessing.  Prayer bursts forth from within me…

Oh, God, help me to harness my tongue, to place the bridle of Your Word on my life and the bit of truthfulness in my mouth that my words might not sin against You or lead myself and others astray.

May the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be pleasing in Your sight, Oh Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer (Ps 19:14). Amen.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment