Monday, June 11: James 4 - Struggles within self.

Today's chapter caused me to reflect on the battle within myself, selfishness versus godliness.

Written to believers, this chapter shows how easily anyone can be lured back into selfish thinking, which can cause quarrels with others and even hatred towards God (4). A major culprit in all this is pride.

Verse 8 gives a basic formula for dealing with pride and developing humility. Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded.

The journey away from pride begins with the willingness to draw close again to God… not easy(!). Next comes confession, admission that I am full of sin and need to be washed clean. Finally, asking God to deal with those places in my heart that are not surrendered to the Lord, hence 'double-minded.' (Oh, I remember how being double-minded undercuts the gaining of wisdom, too…see 1:4).

God's, not so faint, whisper to me this morning… “Beware pride and embrace humility.” This is not easy for me. I need much continued reflection and prayer.

Oh, God, come help me to grow in Christ likeness. Help me, Lord, to forsake pride which puffs me up.  Help me, instead, to embrace the humility that Jesus embraced walking to the cross for my sins and the sins of every other sin-filled human being. The Perfect One taking on my sins, that is humility. Lord, God, may I strive to be like Jesus. In Jesus’ name, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment