Friday, June 27: 1Peter 5- A word to church leaders.

Probably because I am a pastor, I found myself attracted to Peter’s opening words. Verse 1-4: To the elders among you, I appeal as a fellow elder and a witness of Christ’s sufferings who also will share in the glory to be revealed: Be shepherds of God’s flock that is under your care, watching over them—not because you must, but because you are willing, as God wants you to be; not pursuing dishonest gain, but eager to serve; not lording it over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock. And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that will never fade away.

How are we pastors, elders, church leaders to fulfill our calling in Christ? Peter spells a few things out quite clearly.

Be a shepherd willingly and humbly. As I thought about a shepherd, I noted that a shepherd of Peter’s day lived with his/her flock, spending countless hours out in the field, leading, guiding, and protecting the flock. You cannot shepherd disconnected from the flock. Peter notes that this shepherding requires a willingness that comes from inside the individual. It cannot be forced upon a person.

Being God’s shepherd is not about the money… fair pay is one thing. But using the office to fleece people of money is wrong. Ancient shepherds lived a meager life. Peter certainly didn’t do it for the money!

Shepherding is not about power; getting to tell people what to do… instead Peter mentions that shepherds are to be examples. Do what I do, not what I say! And this is to be done eagerly!!!

The role of pastor, reverend, elder, father, deacon, bishop, or whatever this person may be called in your church, is a high calling. The demands are great.

If you are a pastor, reverend, etc. think long and hard about how well you are executing your calling.

If you are not pastor, reverend, etc., here is Peter’s measuring stick for those who are your pastor, reverend, etc.

Lord, Peter author’s a grand job description, one of which I am not worthy. Help me, Lord, to fulfill Your calling with patience and energy, that I might please You, Lord Jesus, in every way. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment