Wednesday, June 4: 2Samuel 9- Honoring a friend who died.

Friendship is a powerful gift. Friends who are there through thick and thin are a true gift. If we have one or two in our lifetime, we are rich.

David had one in Jonathan, son of Saul. Jonathan died at too young an age.

After establishing his kingship, this chapter chronicles how David honors the life, legacy and friendship of Jonathan. David surely went above and beyond.

Seeking out any living relatives, David restored Jonathans only son to his inheritance. Remember this is the grandson of the former king who tried on multiple occasions to kill David! And even more so, David had Jonathan’s son move to Jerusalem where David could care for him. David treated Mephibosheth as a son.

What honor!

This caused me to think about how I honor friends who have died or who have loved ones die.

I’m generally a ‘phone call or sympathy card’ guy… I wonder if I should do more?

Things to ponder…

Lord, thank You for the men and women who, over the course of my life, have been my friends. They have blessed me, poured into me and those I am thinking about right now have caused me to become a better person. Thank You, Lord, especially for those who are brothers and sisters in the Lord, because their lives have helped me live more faithfully to You.

In Jesus’ name, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment