Thursday, June 12: 2Samuel 16- Steeped or surface.

Yesterday and today, we are watching as David flees a dangerous threat, which happens to be a coup by his son. As I imagine the situation, my heart floods with emotion. Anger, deep anger at my son for his conniving. Depression and sadness, what is happening to my family. How could my son do this? Fear, this is a real problem and my life is in danger. Others came to mind.

As I was pondering this and ‘entering’ the situation I realized that in the midst of this crisis and storm of emotions, David needed to make decisions upon which his life depended.

People don’t always make solid decisions at intense times like this.

I pondered the decision regarding Shimei, who is cursing David as he passes by. Advisors want to kill him (the sons of Zeruiah do tend to be hotheads). David stops them (check out verses 5-14). I wondered how is it that David could be so wise and level-headed at a time like this, especially when he is hurting.

Then it occurred to me, David wrote many of the Psalms. His life is steeped in love for the Lord and time spent with Him. And it is times like these when our steeping in the Lord rises up within us, keeping us on track with God and His ways. When we have hidden God and God’s Word in our heart, it can and will guide us even when we are not emotionally functioning at full tilt.

God’s whisper to me… “Stay in the Word. Day in and day out feed your soul with My Word, so that in times of stress My word will be planted in you.”

Such a good thought to keep me close to the Lord today.

Thank You, Lord, for drawing me ever closer to you. I love You, Lord. I Love You. Amen.

 

PS. I also recognize that God’s hand is still on David. God is directing his paths, even though God may not be visible in the text overtly.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment