Wednesday, June 18: 2Samuel 21- Take time to examine your life.

Justice during the days of David is hard to swallow at times, and the opening account of this chapter is one of those times for me.

Yet in the midst of the account there was a devotional moment for me. It came right at the beginning with verse 1. During the reign of David, there was a famine for three successive years; so David sought the face of the LORD.

There is a verse from Ecclesiastes that has always provided wisdom for living for me. It goes like this: When times are good, be happy; but when times are bad, consider: God has made the one as well as the other (Ecclesiastes 7:14). It seems to me that David provides a living example of that word in action.

Times were bad for Israel, so David sought the Lord.

This struck me as a wise way to live. Considering life and how my faith living is going during hard times seems prudent. I cannot say that I always hear directly from the Lord what is going on nor is there always a direct correlation between life-going-well and my faithfulness, but self-examination regularly is wise.

In fact, when times are good, it is wonderful to be happy and to enjoy.  Yet even at these times, I find self-examination prudent, lest it stray from the Lord because I become over self-confident.

So, Lord, this morning, I thank You for David and his wisdom to seek You when things were not going well. It is a prompter to me to keep my connection with You tight, to check in and to seek You regularly.

Thank You, Lord, for always being available to me, to us, to Your people everywhere. Through Jesus, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment