Thursday, June 26: 1Peter 4- Words on suffering.

The first thought to strike me is how much Peter refers to suffering. On the one hand suffering is foreign to me. My world is largely devoid of suffering. And we do everything possible to reduce suffering of any kind. Dentists have Novocain. Medicine has pain-management. Workman’s tools have rubber handles. Not only do we work to minimize suffering of any kind.,We offer all manner of luxuries, cars with heated seats is one example.

Suffering in general is foreign to me and suffering for my faith is not my lot. The idea of a fiery ordeal (12) is something difficult for me to relate to.

And yet it seems almost common place for Peter to write about this. It is as if it is to be expected. I am not sure how to best meditate on this…

My thoughts go to the ‘persecuted church,’ places in our world for whom this word would resonate… places in Africa, Asia and the Middle East that I have read about. A friend who served in Asia couldn’t tell his location. I have another acquaintance whose son and family serve in the Middle East. Likewise, the son will not even tell his parents his actual location. All I can do is be inspired by these people who willingly serve the Lord in this way. Maybe I should sit with them to understand this passage!

I return to the chapter, 8-10 provides some instructions for living. Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms.

Love others. Offer hospitality cheerfully. Use your gifts to serve others. These are words to believers who are suffering. How much more should I –who live in comfort- heed and live out these clear instructions?

Lord, I need strength to put my faith into action. Here are 3 straightforward ways to put my faith into action… Help me, Lord. Help me to give my faith, my all, for You and Your glory, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment