Saturday, June 21: 2Samuel 24- Troubling and encouraging wrapped together.

In terms of troubling verses in the Bible for me, 2Samuel 24:1 ranks up there among the top. Again the anger of the LORD burned against Israel, and he incited David against them, saying, "Go and take a census of Israel and Judah."

I simply do not know what to do with this verse. It stares at me and glares at me. The Lord’s anger burned against Israel, and he incited David… This census David commands is full of sin. His advisors counsel against it, yet David goes through with it and the end result is that God judges David’s sin and 70,000 die from a plague as a result.

Was God the instigator of that sin, which is contrary to the plain teaching of James 1:13-14: When tempted, no one should say, "God is tempting me." For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; but each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed.? As we read this account David takes full ownership of his sin. He never attempts to pawn it off on God or the devil or anyone else.

I am left with a conundrum, but one that leads me to a second thought. I may not be able to put this all together in a neat package (especially when the Chronicler who records this same incident tells it this way… (1Chronicles 21:1: Satan rose up against Israel and incited David to take a census of Israel). But all indications point to the sovereignty of God. God’s will and way will not be thwarted.

God is in control… God is sovereign!

And so I sit this morning, recognizing I do not understand everything. God’s ways are higher than my ways (Isaiah 55). And God will bring to pass His salvation. On these I rest my head and my life.

Lord, I trust You. I don’t understand why bad things happen.I don’t understand how everything works in life, in faith, in salvation, But I TRUST You. Your word is true, Your will perfect. May I praise You with every breath I take. Through Jesus, my Lord, I pray. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment