Monday, June 16: 2Samuel 19- A man of integrity.

 

With the civil war over, David returns victoriously to Jerusalem. Even in his return I see integrity and faithfulness of heart to his God.

David understood that his return was a day of joy and thanks. God had vindicated him. When opportunities arose where David could have inflicted punishment on people who had cursed and dissed him as he was running for his life, David chose to extend grace.

This spoke volumes to me and it seems to have spoken volumes to his nation as well. All the men, I am thinking particularly of the foot-soldiers, who sided with Absalom must have had fear and trepidation as David retuned to his throne. What would he do to the soldiers who in effect committed treason?

The way David treated Shimei shouted, “Today is a day of grace. The nation together is much stronger than the nation torn apart.”

Grace, whether in victory or defeat, can be a difficult gift to extend. David did it well on this day he returned to Jerusalem.

Do I so willingly extend grace to those who have done me wrong? Do you? What would Jesus teach and expect of us who follow Him? My thoughts flip to the Sermon on the Mount… if you are brave take a few moments to ponder Matthew 5:38-42.

Lord, help me to have the heart of Jesus. A heart that loves, a heart that understands when it is time to be silent in the face of false accusers and when it is time to over turn the tables of injustice.

Lord, help me to have the heart of David who understood how to win graciously!!!!

Thank You, Lord Jesus, for teaching and saving me. I love You. In Your name, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment