Monday, August 11: 2Kings 11- Gave him a copy of the covenant.

I was fascinated by a small detail in the story. As Jehoiada the priest is crowning Joash king, the text says in verse 12, that Jehoiada put the crown on him; he presented him with a copy of the covenant and proclaimed him king.

A crown and the covenant were what set him apart.

The idea that they gave him a personal copy of the covenant God made with Israel hit me. In modern day language they gave the new king a crown and a Bible. The message is clear; the king is to build his life and his kingdom on God’s Covenant.

This is a powerful thought for all of us. Like Joash, we should build our lives, our families, our careers on God’s Word.

That simple image is captivating me…

We are to build our lives on God’s Word. This is not a new thought, but the symbolism of marking the new king with a crown and personal copy of the covenant is powerful for me…

I keep thinking, when our children reach landmark ages, maybe we should give them something emblematic of the new life stage and a Bible.

Lord, I pray that I build my life on Your Word, Your Truth… and Lord, I pray that I can find ways to memorialize not only my building my life on Your Word, but also connecting others with this truth. Help me, Lord… I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment