Saturday, August 16: 2Kings 16- Who do we obey.

Then King Ahaz went to Damascus to meet Tiglath-Pileser king of Assyria. He saw an altar in Damascus and sent to Uriah the priest a sketch of the altar, with detailed plans for its construction.  So Uriah the priest built an altar in accordance with all the plans that King Ahaz had sent from Damascus … King Ahaz then gave these orders to Uriah the priest: "On the large new altar, offer the morning burnt offering and the evening grain offering, the king's burnt offering and his grain offering, and the burnt offering of all the people of the land, and their grain offering and their drink offering. Sprinkle on the altar all the blood of the burnt offerings and sacrifices. But I will use the bronze altar for seeking guidance." And Uriah the priest did just as King Ahaz had ordered (10-11,15-16).

I was disappointed by the priest, Uriah, who obeyed the king instead of obeying the law of God, which as priest he was ordained to do. The priests were supposed to teach and lead the people in the ways of God. They were to administer the sacrifices in accordance with the law of God. This was a sacred trust and glorious honor. And here Uriah was desecrating the temple and defiling the things of God. This was not Samaria and the northern nation of Israel, which long ago had established a rival sanctuary to the temple in Jerusalem. This was the Aaronic priesthood serving in Jerusalem!

Sadness grew over me and so did conviction. Conviction because it seems my own denomination is going the way of Ahaz, disregarding the Word of God to accommodate the way of the world.

As I pondered and meditated today, I remembered Peter and the apostles in Acts who when questioned by the Jewish leaders replied, "We must obey God rather than men! (Acts 5:29).

Peter’s statement is simple and clear… "We must obey God rather than men!

Lord, how would you have me live that out in my life and in my world and in my leadership of the church I serve in Your name?  Help me, Lord. Help me.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment