Friday, August 1: 2Kings 3- The depravity of humanity.

Moab is loosing the battle badly.  What does the king of Moab do? What does the man who instigated the war in the first place do? He sacrifices his first-born son, heir to the throne, to the gods in hopes of turning the tide of the war and save his own skin. I mean, how sick is that???

We talk about humanity as if we are good at heart, not perfect maybe, but good. And yet our world is filled with incredible ugliness, sin, and depravity. Some might say this was only one man, but isn’t he a product of his society? As king didn’t he help shape his society? And if he did this, what else might he have done that we don’t know about? And if his people wanted a favor from the gods, would they do similar things?

Gangs ask horrible things of members as initiation. Violence is all around us; just open a paper or read a new feed.

We humans are a depraved lot… more often than we want to admit.

Even as I write all this, my thoughts flip to the message of the New Testament, where God gives us a new heart through faith in Jesus Christ. The only hope for men and women is Jesus.

Have you turned to Jesus for heart surgery? I have. I still have much rehab to do and I have many new life skills and habits to incorporate into my life (I am far from perfect)! But thanks to Jesus I am on the road to recovery and blessed with a calling to tell people about the Savior Jesus… Are you?

Thank You, Lord, God, for calling me on to Your team. Help me, strengthen me and train me to be valuable for Your kingdom purposes. I pray in Your name –the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment